Sunday, October 26, 2008

TOP 10

I wanted to be positive and share the top ten reasons for living in a rural city even though I'm not sure it's for me.

10. You spend a lot more time doing what your kids want to do (ie: playing games etc.) Hold on...is this a good thing JJ!
9. Slower pace of life and I mean s..l..o..w
8. It's quiet (even in the middle of the day, except Ava has disturbed the peace numerous times)
7. Everyone waves and says hello (and stare at you because they know your not from there)
6. I don't spend any money (even the occasional trip to 7-11 is not possible)
5. I can't ever say I'm bored (what else could I be doing)
4. No late night trips to the store when our kids should really be in bed (unless we want to travel to Cedar 96 miles away)
3. I cook dinner every night (it's either that or starve)
2. I'm not putting my kids in and out of the car 20 times a day (we don't go very many places)
1. Nobody cares that we have packaging tape holding Matthew's truck windows up

Just joking on a few of those! I have to say I have actually enjoyed living a totally different life than I'm used to, though I think I might go stir-crazy if it was permanent. Over the last week I have come to the conclusion that small town life is either in your blood or not. And although I can really see the benefits of a slower, less distracting life, you just can't take the city out of this girl!

9 comments:

HammondFam said...

I am right there with you girl! I think I could do small town living for a few weeks, but I am such a city girl at heart....there is no takin' me out for good! I'm glad you have found some positive though. With that said, we will have to get out and shop when you get back! We will get you right back in the saddle of city life!! :)

Andrea said...

You can take the girl out of the city but you can't take the city out of the girl! I TOTALLY agree...

In Washington Bryson and I lived in a pretty small city (the benefit is it was AMAZINGLY green and pretty). However, it wasn't too bad because Seattle was just a ferry ride away! I really can't imagine Caliente being all that green and pretty..and a ferry in Nevada...WHAT?? Not a chance!

Anyway, I am glad you are finding some positive. As long as it's temporary...sometimes it's nice to slow life down a bit and live in a place like that. Light at the end of the tunnel is always a GOOD thing!

becbloggin said...

we miss you! glad to hear you are sticking it out. i hate the hours of small towns. you cannot run to the store late at night or go get a $1.29 breakfast whenever :) there really can be some positives...when i lived in pahrump-yikes i know-in the 3rd grade we had to come to henderson anytime my parents needed to grocery shop! i know pahrump is a little better now--but you really realize what you take for granted when you go without! we love you guys and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Caroline said...

hehe...I loved your top 10 list. Travis thinks he'd love living in a small town like Panaca, although he's never lived in one. I definitely could not do it! I love the outdoors, but like suburbia in the mean time. :)

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

I am totally with you on that one! When I lived in Cedar I loved it but it was quite a change from Vegas...the nice thing was a trip to St. George was only 45 minutes which was like driving out to Vegas from Henderson. :) That always made me feel less home sick. Let me know when you are coming back!

Carly said...

Well, I am a small town girl! I'm glad that we only live 1 hour from Provo so, I can get my some-what city fix once in a while. Atleast as shopping and restaurants are concerned. I actually like it here. It's small, but it has lots of Maveriks (like 7-11), all the fast food chains, a few semi-okay restaurants, a few movie theaters, a few retail stores, even a Cold Stones! It's small, but has all the fixens to keep sanity for me. Hang in there! 1 month isn't too bad.

Sara said...

I love your top 10 list! That is so funny:)I know what you're saying...I'm totally a city girl, too! It's good to think of the postives and be glad that in "real" life you normally have a 7-11 in close proximity:)LOL. (I would have diet coke withdrawals)! I bet I could save a ton of money moving to a rural city! Hang in there..not too much longer!

Nat said...

You have a great attitude! I think you are going to make it!!! I agree. I think there are such wonderful things about country/rural slow paced life. Somedays I think I want it, but others I know I couldn't handle it. Its nice you really get to live it and find out for sure. And think how much money you are saving!!! Good luck!

Kyle and Lacey said...

I had to laugh at your list and how true it is! I grew up in an extremely small town in Wyoming. So fun to grow up there, but I have thought many times how much I would hate to raise little kids there for the very reasons you mentioned. I hope this month goes fast for ya'all! And I loved the Halloween pics--the one of Ava is priceless!