Saturday, October 18, 2008

Rural Nevada, Ready or Not

Matthew is back and we are now on to our next adventure. For medical school, Matthew is required to do a month long rural rotation. Originally we were scheduled to do this rotation in Boulder City, Nevada but that was obviously too good to be true. So we got our new assignment to go to Caliente, Nevada. The school called to let us know we could stay in a trailer on the hospital grounds. Matthew thought this sounded like a great idea. I on the other hand wasn't thrilled with the idea. I wanted Matthew to check the place out before taking our kids down there, but he continually reassured me that it would be fine. His confidence in situation was strong... until a few days later when he was notified that the trailer had been condemned!!! It must have been mother's intuition. Thankfully a really nice family in Panaca (about 15 min. away) has offered to let us stay in their detached apartment. We leave tomorrow after church and I have literally packed everything but the kitchen sink. I have never been to that part of Nevada, but something tells me I am going to have to get creative when it comes to keeping my kids busy. Wish me luck!

11 comments:

HammondFam said...

I wish you all the best! :) You are quite the trooper! I had to laugh about the trailer thing. Tyler always (no matter what the issue) says everything will be fine - no biggie! It is then that I am quick to remind him that I will be the one dealing with the REALITY of the situation. His response is usually this, "yes, and everything will be fine." So, be grateful you are staying in an apartment, because Tyler would have probably put me in the condemned trailer...lol!! Have fun, I will be thinking of you. Call me if you are bored!! :)

Me said...

Oh my gosh Michelle! How crazy is that. Boulder City would have been nice, but I bet you will have a good time in Caliente. Those small towns are fun in small doses, so a month should be good. (hopefully) Good luck! You sound like you're doing well with it, though.

becbloggin said...

michelle im sad you are leaving. we will miss you! my sister in law allison's parents live in caliente. they are doug and phyllis pulsipher. anyway-best of luck-and i know everything will be fine. i think you will end up enjoying being there for a little while and knowing it is only a month! hopefully it wont get too cold. i will look forward to your posts and hearing how things are going.

Jacob and Mindy T. said...

Oh no! Are you only going to be gone for a month? That stinks! Now how are we supposed to get together?! :( BUMMER!!

Sara said...

Oh my! So glad you found somewhere else to stay:) That's good it is only a month long! Hopefully you can have a fun time w/ the kiddos! (Even if it means shopping at Walmart everyday...is there even a Walmart there?:)LOL. No, I agree w/Holly, those towns are fun in small doses. Think of how good you'll feel once he's done w/medical school. It will all be well worth it:) Hope you have fun!

Kyle and Lacey said...

Good luck with the rural rotation! Med school is just four years of one grueling thing after another, isn't it? I have a few links on my blog for fun ideas to keep kids busy. Hopefully you can find something that will help. One idea I just came across that was cute was to play with glow sticks in the bathtub and turn off the lights. Apparently kids get a huge kick out of that. Anyway, if I find any other good entertaining ideas, I'll let you know.

Andrea said...

Matthew and Michelle...I am so glad I found your blog! You have the CUTEST kids! I have only had a blog for a short time but I am really LOVING it! It's SO fun to stay caught up on the lives of people you don't talk to regularly! Anyway, good luck in Caliente...It will be a learning experience I am sure! Andrea Croft

Caroline said...

Hi Michelle, I got your blog off of Nicole's blog and I'm interested in hearing about your month in Caliente & Panaca. Travis & I pass through Caliente often on our way to go hunting in northern NV, so I KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE THERE! The longest we've ever stayed is to grab a bite to eat at one of the 3 restaurants in town! Enjoy the peace and quite and fresh air, because that's about all the good things I can think of that Caliente has to offer!

Nat said...

Wow! Good luck with that! I've never been there either. Let us know how it goes!

HammondFam said...

How are you holding up girl? How's rural Nevada treating you?

Meet The Olsens said...

Good luck my friend. I know what it is like to live in tim-buck-too. We live there now and you definitely have to be creative.

Can your kids get any cuter. They are beautiful Michelle!